Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Operation Santa Claus Picture 2008 (OSCP2008) - retitled because what was I thinking?

If you were a reader of our blog last year at this time, then you know that our visit with Santa (OSCP2007) did not go very well. Actually, that is putting it nicely. If you would have asked Chase, he would have told you that our visit was nothing short of pure torture. Seriously, if you weren't a reader then, you should go check it out.

This year we were all the wiser and being the clever parents we are decided that surely there must be some way to convince our 3.75 year old that the old man wasn't as bad as he seemed. I mean come on, he sees you when you're sleeping, he shows up one night out of the year, breaks into your house, eats your cookies, drinks your milk... how could someone like that be bad?

After much thought we decided that bribery would probably be the best answer. OK, it was the only answer we could come up with but why mess with what you know works? For weeks we have been telling Chase that Santa was coming and that we would get to go see him. We also said that maybe Santa would have a special present for Chase if he would be willing to take a picture with him. This really peaked Chase's interest and he agreed to the picture as long as he could stand by Santa and not sit in his lap. Hmmm, understandable, who likes sitting on the laps of old men? Wait, maybe you shouldn't answer that. Needless to say, the deal was made.

We decided that tonight was the big night and ventured over to Santa's cottage. Chase was full of excitement and grinning from ear to ear. This part was kind of like deja vu of last year and I was not going to be fooled again. When we arrived I took Chase to the tree and Jeff ran a little errand when Chase wasn't looking. All was good.

After a few shots by the tree we made our way into the cottage and you would never believe what was waiting for Chase. It turns out that Santa DID have a special present for Chase, who would have ever guessed? Chase was all smiles, but was a little hesitant. He really wanted that present though, so want quickly overcame hesitation. Chase was one happy little fella and totally impressed that the big guy was really there in person.




They had a riveting conversation about what Chase would like for Christmas and as usual the top four were the ones he told Santa about. Thank God he is getting all four! The conversation went on to include Chase's age, had he been good, was there anything else he wanted, what a big boy he was, etc. Chase even gave Santa a hug, which completely shocked me! Too bad I didn't get a good pic of it. I must learn how to take the delay off on the camera, I knew I should have kept track of that owner's manual!



Of course being the season of giving, you can't actually take pictures with your own camera unless you plan on giving to the whole Santa operation by buying one of their pictures. So, being the poor people we are we bought the cheapest package and still ended up paying 16 bucks for 1 picture. At least it was a good one. I'll try to scan on my school printer, but to be honest it really resembles the one above where he is standing by Santa. As luck would have it the computer crashed so while we were waiting for them to fix it we went back out to the tree for some family shots.



I have to say that even though OSCP2007 did not go very well, it was a memory that I will always cherish. However I'm finding that even though I never think it can, it just gets better and better. This was our last pic of the night and when I look at it I can't help but smile. This is the perfect picture of one happy, little boy!


I am such a lucky girl.




**I am grateful for
1) the season
2) a great night
3) Santa
4) that big 'ol tree
5) another year

9 comments:

Katie Baker said...

I love it! Yay Chase! He did so good. The pictures are adorable.

Amanda Hoyt said...

Those are great pictures! Love the family one and the one with Santa. He looks so happy!
Cait is still very afraid of Santa.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh--CUTEST! CHRISTMAS! PICTURE! EVER! The hat, the glasses and the story had me charmed and then that last shot and his precious, precious little face and joy!!! If you do holiday letters, you seriously have to just lift this blog entry because it is too sweet and adorable and fun not to share.

You ARE indeed a super lucky girl! Chase is adored and a blessed little boy as well to have both of you.

Great pictures of all of you. And oh the cuteness of that little boy!!!!

Thanks so much for posting--I bet you have spread a lot of smiles and warmth today!

~Courtney

crayonmommy said...

YAY! TOO CUTE!

Stephanie said...

Nice pix! I think this may be the year that Bean enjoys seeing Santa!

Ryan, Sarah and Miriam said...

Those are great pictures Kahla, Chase is adorable. I might have to borrow your bribery idea, Miri is not too thrilled about seeing/talking to Santa either, but she loves the "idea" of the big guy.

Jen&Carter said...

Chase is to cute, with his glasses and his spiffy hat on. The pic of the three of you is very good. I have to admit I was scared of Santa when I was little to, my mom has pic of my crying sitting on Santa lap one year.
I want to say thank you for the sweet encouraging comment that you left on my blog.

Michelle said...

Great pictures! I am so glad it went better then last year even if bribery had to take place. He is such a cutie!

Teresa & Connie said...

He's soooooooooo friggin cute. I love it. I read the old story, what a crack up. My daughter is STILL terrified of Santa. My son isn't and has never been afraid of anyone really. I have to email Katie's list to Santa. Nuts! Oh and we are going to Bass Pro Shop this year for pics because they are free! Can you believe it??