Friday, December 26, 2008

Update on Chase

I noticed that I said strep in the last post, but what I meant was staph. Apparently I was REALLY into Mamma Mia! ;o)

Since having a severe staph infection in 8th grade that landed me in the hospital not once, but twice and then with a port/at home antibiotics and home health-nurse for the next 6ish months I am really leery about staph infections. Not to mention what Jeff's cousin is going through with one right now. Staph can get serious fast and it is nothing to fool around with.

Since Chase's hand looked no better this morning we were off to the doctor bright and early. Of course his only wish was that they not pop it, but we all knew that was one wish that would not be coming true. Since there was only one pedi on today and a building full of sick kiddos we saw Amy, the RN, who rocks. She is one of those ladies that is just super friendly and is always there when you need her. I love our pedi's office and was glad they could fit us in. Much to my dismay Amy said that it does indeed look like staph and much to Chase's dismay it needed to be lanced and cultured.

It took a total of four of us to hold Chase down so that we could get it lanced and swabbed. That had to be one of the hardest things ever for me to do. I was at his shoulders/head and he screamed and begged for us to let him go. It quickly turned into pleading and big crocodile tears which just broke my heart. It'll take three days (so Monday) to get the results of the culture, but we are treating it like staph and he's on an oral antibiotic and a topical one. We will be monitoring it closely and if it takes a turn for the worse we'll head in immediately.

Thank you again for the continued thoughts and prayers for Doodlebug, I'm always so thankful for family, friends, and prayers!




**I am grateful for
1) TGIF!
2) Chase is on antibiotics
3) we were able to receive good medical care
4) Christmas was wonderful
5) prayers!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Poor Chase! I hope he feels better soon.

Amanda Hoyt said...

Oh man. Chase is in our prayers. Poor baby!
Hugs to you for having to hold him down and watch him go through that, Kahla.

Sarah said...

Poor little guy! Hope he heals up soon.

Jen&Carter said...

Poor little guy, I pray that it heals and that it isn't staph.

Teresa & Connie said...

Wow I am so sorry! That is awful!!! Poor little dude! I hope he's doing lots better